Sunday, June 24, 2018

Schoodic Peninsula Beauty
My favorite area of Acadia National Park turned out to be the last area we visited, Schoodic Peninsula.  It provided the feeling of solitude that I expected from Acadia and some wonderful scenery and colors to boot!
Buoys
Winter Harbor is a small fishing village at the very beginning (and probably just outside) of the Schoodic Peninsula.  However, the feeling of peace of the peninsula was already here.  I couldn’t help but get entranced by the colorful wall of buoys that that made up the outside of one of the buildings right on the harbor.
Winter Harbor
The water in Winter Harbor and throughout all of the Schoodic Peninsula was crystal clear.  It reminded me of the water one might see in the Caribbean, except, of course, that water is much warmer!
Tide’s Coming In
I always thought the tide came in and went out nice and gentle.  The power of the incoming tide surprised me when I stood directly over it at the Frazier Pt. picnic area on the peninsula.  It almost looks like I’m riding on and looking out over the back of a motorboat!
Along the Coast of the Schoodic Peninsula
This seems like an almost classic view of the coastline along the peninsula, and this sort of rustic beauty, unspoiled by man, is what I looked forward to seeing in Acadia.  
Deep Forest Roadside
There was a little dirt road that led to the highest point on the peninsula, which wasn’t all that much above sea level.  But, the greenery along the side of the road was much more impressive than the view at the end of it!
Crashing at Schoodic Point
You could really get a feel for the power of the ocean as the waves crashed against the rocks at Schoodic Point.  It was very cool to be able to walk out onto the rocks.  Of course, we didn’t go to the far end of the rocks, because they were quite wet from the spray and the actual waves.  Some foolhardy folks did get rather close, but after hearing how a man and his 7-year-old daughter were swept off the rocks (he was rescued, but she drowned), we respected the power of nature.
View from Blueberry Hill
The area around Acadia is known for blueberries.  I’m guessing that perhaps at some point, blueberries were grown around this immediate area, but I didn’t see anything but this lovely view on this day!
Blue Waters on Cobblestone Beach
I love the look of a cobblestone beach.  I had never seen one before seeing this one, to the best of my knowledge, and I found the texture of it wonderful.  What’s not so wonderful is to try to walk on it!
Blue Waters of Wonsqueak Harbor
At the end of the drive around the peninsula, there was tiny Wonsqueak Harbor.  Again, the super clear blue waters were here, along with a charmingly rustic harbor house.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment