Friday, June 22, 2018

Door and Windows
Here are some photo images that I took of the doors and windows of the old farmhouse that I used as inspiration for the recent photo collage piece I did.  There is an old saying that a person’s eyes are windows to the soul.  Well, I always feel that the windows of old deserted buildings are a way to see into what may be the soul of the past lives that were inside the building.
One of the things I like is when I can capture the old glass in a deserted building’s windows.  They are warped in a way that creates a sense of mystery to me – as if the house wants to hold close its secrets.
Warped Reflection
Another mystery is the missing pane of glass – when did it break and so cleanly?  It doesn’t look like a rock or something thrown at it broke it – after all, there are no jagged edges.  It would make it easier to catch a glimpse of what’s inside, except for the old curtain that still hangs.  Ah, the stories my imagination can make up about that!
Missing Pane
I love the character that comes through in this image.  The textures are a wonderful mix – smooth glass of the windows, rough finish to the material that once served as perhaps a bit of insulation to the building on the right side, the regularity of the siding that’s still on the left side of this outside wall of the farmhouse, the old, slightly warped wood of the door, and the rusty locks and doorknob that also serve to keep the secrets of the old house safe inside.  They all balance so perfectly, it’s strangely delightful.
Door and Two Windows
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment