Saturday, November 11, 2017

Abstract Art at White Sands
On a recent camping trip, Jeff & I visited White Sands National Monument.  We’ve been there before, but for me, every visit is like visiting it anew.  The sands shift constantly with the wind, so it’s like it’s getting created and re-created all the time.  Some of the images that I shot truly seemed like abstract, modern art and that reminded me of some Georgia O’Keeffe art I’ve seen over the years.  Now, I’m not anywhere the artist that Georgia was, but I was reminded of her for these pieces, so I decided to assign some of her quotes to them as comments instead of my own words –
Abstract Mountains and Dunes
“I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for.”
Stark Horizon
“It was all so far away - there was quiet and an untouched feel to the country and I could work as I pleased.”
Simple Lines in the Sand
“I said to myself, I have things in my head that are not like what anyone has taught me - shapes and ideas so near to me - so natural to my way of being and thinking that it hasn't occurred to me to put them down.”
Texture to Infinity
“I had to create an equivalent for what I felt about what I was looking at - not copy it.”
Lines in the Sand
“You get whatever accomplishment you are willing to declare.”
See the Wind
“I often painted fragments of things because it seemed to make my statement as well as or better than the whole could.”
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment