Thursday, May 18, 2017

Foto Art Friday – May 19. 2017
School Days
In Gillespie County, Texas, there are a number of old one-room schoolhouses scattered along the highways and country back roads.  These schools hearken back to the “olden days” when several grades of grammar school were gathered and taught in one room, by one teacher.  This image has as its foundation and inspiration, a photograph of one of those schools.  As I viewed the schoolhouses, I thought about how teaching has changed throughout the years.  One of the sad things that I’m reminded of lately, is that cursive writing is more and more frequently not taught in schools any longer.  For this piece, I then also used some vintage handwriting, and special brushes featuring handwriting.  And, for a bit of whimsy, I added in a clock, as I do recall as a child in school, always watching the clock, noting how long it would be until recess or the end of the day!  What memories does this piece bring back for you?
School Days
Enjoy!
This piece can be found in a variety of formats and finishes on www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/nadine-berg

No comments:

Post a Comment