Monday, May 14, 2018

Art in the Desert
Here are some of my favorite images from the time we spent at Saguaro National Park near Tucson, Arizona…….
Desert and Mountains
I love the contrast of this image.  Mountain peaks reaching up to touch the sky, and the desert life that hugs the earth.  And, the pop of color of the ocotillo blooms speaks to the vibrant life that exists in the desert.  It’s a starker kind of beauty that a typical lush landscape, but no less spectacular in its majesty.
Desert Floor
It seems strange to see saguaro cactus at the base of a mountain.  It’s not a typical grouping in most people’s minds.  Mountains are about as far from the desert as we imagine.  However, look at the green of the cactus and other plants – the saguaro are almost what would be called spring green in the Midwest where I grew up.  I truly enjoy this very different type of desert floor – one of the few places in the world where one can see saguaro cactus.
In the Desert
When I used to think of the desert, I thought of it as a very inhospitable place, where very little could live and grow.  How mistaken I was!  This image gives one a window to the marvelous life that exists in the desert – and this is only the plant life!  Cacti of different variety, and some other shrubs complement the golden sandy ground and the beautiful blue sky.  Yes, there is what seems to be a dead bush, but that only accents the vibrant living plants around it!
Nature’s Treasure
One doesn’t expect to see what seems to be a typical wildflower in the desert environment.  And, yet, here it is!  This flower just speaks to me of being a happy survivor, taking in nourishment as is provided, and certainly making the best of harsh surroundings.  This is a true lesson in resilience.
Ocotillo Bloom
My husband, Jeff, my most excellent photographer’s assistant, held the bloom of an ocotillo cactus in a better photographic angle to allow me to capture this image.  There was ever so slight of a breeze, which cause the bloom to sort of blur.  I decided to go with what Nature had given me, and transform this photo image into a watercolor abstract of the bloom.  The colors speak of springtime and the joy of nature coming to life again after the winter cold.  Of course, winter cold is a relative term in southern Arizona!
Enjoy!
Note:  Each of these images is available in a variety of sizes and finishes at http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/nadine-berg.

No comments:

Post a Comment